Thursday 3 July 2014

Walking down the Cretaceous lane

A probable ankylosaur track (pes) from Pula. Outline of Sauropelta's pes (Carpenter) is on top of the footprint for matching.
In fact I am quite certain in my attribution, since it is not the only track of this shape and size there. With a bit of field work and mapping, the trackways could be identified. This was an animal of enormous size.

Strange traces in Pula. Possible theropod swimming traces?


A probable giant theropod track (natural cast) in Pula.


Another large theropod footprint from the Main Brijun island, that I couldn't figure out. A double impression, probably? Notice the giant "human" footprint on the left. I bet some enthusiastic creationist has put it there (hahaha)!


The so called (mini) "Pula fjord".


Trying the simple zoom on my pocket camera: A view at the Stoja and the steep Muzil cliffs near Pula. I haven't checked that place for tracks yet.



One of many Pula beaches. This track bearing one is my favourite spot for snorkeling.


The dusk pink clouds over Pula.


A poorly preserved giant theropod trackway in Pula.



Recent tracks and traces on a busy path through the meadow. Can you identify them?




Fake dinosaur tracks. Can you guess why am I so sure about it? 

Answer: This is Eocene flysch!


 A nice very large iguanodontoid footprint (Pula beach). I have found more tracks nearby that are almost perfect match to my red outline interpretation. These might have been subadults, because the largest ones I have found there are much bigger.


 A dusk over the Pula rocky beach. Dinosaur tracks became invisible and the swarms of mosquitoes irritating.


 What are the chances for these recent ripple marks to get preserved in this shape for 100 million years as a solid rock?






No comments:

Post a Comment